- Study in AustraliaAustralian Universities/CollegesPrograms by faculty AusAustralian VisasLife in Australia
- Study In New ZealandNew Zealand UniversitiesPrograms by Faculty NZNew Zealand VisasLife in New Zealand
- Study in CanadaUniversities/Colleges in CANADAPrograms by faculty CanadaCanadian VisasLife in Canada
Masters by Research
A Masters by Research will build on the skills and knowledge you developed in your undergraduate degree. Supported by a research supervisor, you will undertake advanced research in your field and develop the skills to apply, and critically evaluate various research methodology.
Master's by research is a supervised degree that includes a thesis.
A master's thesis must be a substantial work, generally based on independent research, that shows:
- sound knowledge of the research subject
- evidence of independent thought
- ability to use clear and concise language.
Undertaking a master's thesis is a rewarding project, but it requires careful thought and significant planning.
You are required to submit a 30,000 - 60,000 word thesis. If you are conducting research in the creative arts (including creative writing, performance or visual arts), you can undertake a Masters by research in which the thesis submission includes creative work with an accompanying exegesis. Your final result will depend on the examination of your thesis.
You must have a Bachelors degree with a Distinction average in the final year, or equivalent qualification or professional experience demonstrating a capacity to undertake a Masters by research.
You must also demonstrate competency in English sufficient to work at a masters level by providing evidence of one or more of the following:
- completion of one or more degrees with English as the language of instruction and assessment, and undertaken in a predominantly English-speaking context
- two of the past five years of study were undertaken at a tertiary institution where English was the primary language of instruction
- you have an overall band score of not less than 6.5 in an International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) test with no individual band score below 6.0
- you achieved a score of not less than 92 with no section score less than 22 in the internet-based Teaching of English Foreign Language (TOEFL) test, or English proficiency equivalent
demonstrate competence in English equivalent to above
Two years full time study, or part time equivalent.
For more information, please contact one of our offices
Study in Australia | Study in the UK | Study in Malaysia | Study in Canada | Study in the USA | Study in New Zealand
Editor: Nina Zarabi